Brands, Businesses And Youth Development.November 22, 2017
Why You Need A Goal, Digital Skills & Partner To Become A Success Story!November 22, 2017
“Hey guys, I’ve got good news!. We have now partnered with the office of the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Sustainable Development Goals (OSSAP – SDGs) for this Digital Skills training. We would also be going to Abuja for the flag-off ceremony on the 30th of August and the Vice President would be there. Google is more than happy to be a part of this next phase (the 2nd) of the project.’’ – That was me talking to my team early that Thursday morning.
In April, we partnered with Google for the first phase of the Digital Skills project to train a 100,000 youths on digital skills. We weren’t just doing this because it was a nice idea. There was a deeply felt conviction and it stemmed from Tony Elumelu’s statement: ’’Across Africa today, from the largest cities to the most remote villages, digital technology is making an impact on people’s everyday lives and has the power to transform communities and even whole economies’’. We simply keyed in!
The flag-off ceremony was themed: “Diversifying the Nigerian Economy: Enabling Youth through Digital Skills Training.’’
Reflecting again on the speech of the Vice-President, a few ministers and even myself was amazing. Here are a few points you can take home.
The Vice President said:
- Practically anything can be learned online today. Whatever you choose to do, be technology-savvy and understand its best uses in your chosen discipline.
- Today, technology has created space for millions of business opportunities. Just by being able to virtually connect millions of people, the internet has changed the business landscape and empowered anyone with great ideas and a smart handheld device.
- Technology had opened mind-boggling opportunities in commerce, science, medicine and practically all aspects of human endeavors.
- We intend to create a reservoir of human capacity in technology that can be exported internationally and we believe that Nigeria can lead India as a market for technology and innovation talent.
- Digital Skills will unleash the creativity, innovation and the boundless imagination of the most productive segment of our society.
- Opportunities abound for professionals with multi-skills to excel in this period of economic hardship and joblessness if they only take advantage of innovation.
- The Digital Skills program is part of government’s Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) commitment and would be replicated in every state to lift the Nigerian youths from poverty.
- Digital technology will stimulate change and we must continue to invest in our youths so as to help them leverage technology in order to sustain innovation – Minister of Communications, Adebayo Shittu
- Nigerian youths are very enterprising and resourceful. They can thus take this Digital Skills training serious and use the knowledge to improve themselves and the economy of the country – Mrs Juliet Ehimuan-Chiazor, Google Country Manager,
- It’s time for us to leave the dark and embrace digital technology to shine in the light, that’s the only guaranteed way forward – Tayo Olosunde, ED MindtheGap.
Follow and tweet at DigitalMeNg to be a part of the training. Or you can send a mail to firstname.lastname@example.org