WHY YOU NEED EMPATHY IN YOUR CAREER AND BUSINESS
February 27, 2018
Google introduces ‘Search Engine for Jobs’ – No more excuses for joblessness!
March 6, 2018

Google Digital Skills; My Saving Grace…

Whether or not you are your own boss, I need not preach to you that the future of work is digital. You know, everybody staying wherever and getting services rendered and product delivered anywhere and everywhere around the world. Amazing, right? I know. But this is Africa, we really have some catching up to do, I agree. I for one thought it’s going to take us decades to get as digital as the West until our animals miraculously developed capacity to swallow money. Lol. Apparently our animals are going ‘techy’ and there’s no better motivation than knowing our money is no longer safe in the physical office. Guy, we just accelerate our digital pursuit by a million degrees…..

I didn’t want to be left behind, I have a thing for always wanting to be on top of my game. I mean, money must be made and in the most dignifying way possible. So I knew I’d be joking to say I live in 2018 and without digital skills. How can I get these skills? I need to learn them, it’s that simple. The only thing is, quality knowledge is not cheap. There are organized trainings on digital skills, just that they are not hustler’s pocket friendly and online courses are mostly just a bunch of highly evasive unnecessary volume of words. Arghhh…

Then, I heard about Google Digital Skills for Africa. Not like I was all into it at first. I just thought; well it’s Google, no harm trying. I signed up. Took the first course and I was like, okay…, this should be interesting. 48 hours after I signed up, the entire 26 courses are history. It’s a lot of content to absorb, I must say, but it’s absolutely worth every minute, every read and the expensive data. Lol .

WHY GOOGLE DIGITAL SKILLS FOR AFRICA IS THE BOMB.
It is free! You hear me? It is free. All you need is your mobile phone connected to the internet and maybe a little less time on Instagram. #winks. You know what? That’s not even the best part.
The course has both video content and transcript. What does this mean? I’ll explain. So, there are the videos of actual human beings teaching you all from getting business online, through content marketing, Analytics all the way to taking the business global. But just in case you prefer to read, the exact words of the trainers, not the summary, the exact words, are just a click away from the video. Isn’t that cool?

The content is comprehensive and in the most accessible of language. You do not need to know all those SEO SEM, Analytics whatever before you begin. There are hyperlinks to further explain every single register mentioned and all on the same page, you’re not being redirected anywhere else. Yes, the content is that basic plus, you won’t be needing a dictionary, provided you didn’t play away your literacy lessons. I bet you didn’t. And if you already have an idea but want to deepen your knowledge, you know what they say, knowledge is never too much.

There is certification. Yup, your resume is about to be lit! No dear, they don’t award certificate giving clap-backs on Twitter. You need to carefully ingest the content, earn your badges (yes, there are badges too), quickly check your knowledge and the voila, look who’s the next digital savvy!

The courses are yours the moment you begin till you ‘graduate’ and long after then. You can always go through the courses again and again until you are sure you have mastery of knowledge which will reflect in your skills.

Many words don’t fill a basket (African proverb). You check in to Google Digital Skills for Africa and thank me later. Oh, before I go, the spec criteria just increased by one; DIGITAL SKILLS! #winks Do well to give me your feedback. #okaybyefornow

One more thing, there might just be something you could do with the certificate. You may want to ask me for details. In case you’ve been through DSA (Digital Skills for Africa) do well to share your experience with us in the comment section.

Post by: Adejoke Adedapo

19 Comments

1. Peter says:

Nicely written. I happen to have gone through the training last year. And yes, I pretty much agree with all your points. I especially like that fact that Google decided to make it highly flexible by including a transcript, that way no one can use not having data as an excuse not to sign up for DSA!

But I don’t like the fact that I can’t download the tutorial videos for offline referencing. I wish they can include that functionality soon.

Ehen, my ears are down to he the details you promised!

Overall you did very impressive with this writeup.

2. Going through the on-line course was very insightful and underscore the awesomeness of the mandate we have in our hands to enable Nigeria Youth for the Digital Economy.

Have you done bit.ly/mindthegapng?

Drop your feedback?

3. Juliana says:

The DSA online training was a great challenge to me, going through the lectures. I became enlightened about the digital world, I was always eager to listen to the next lecture. Saying to myself and even to Corp members I happen to train and convince to take the online DSA, ‘ If you take into practice what you are being taught on DSA, there is every opportunity of you being independent’. Be it a project or a business you want to do, just put DSA into practice. I really appreciate this DSA opportunity.

4. IDOKO ISAAC says:

DSA training is so insightful such that people who are ready to learn and apply will never be stranded in terms of creating Decent Job for yourself by helping your own business grow, helping others grow their businesses and even assisting companies get online, increase their sales and project them to the world.
    The training has helped me in ways inexplicable and I have replicated it in so many other young people who are doing amazingly well.
    I will encourage every young person yet to be digitally immunized to sieze this rare opportunity and get certified and also increase your career portfolio.

5. Mark says:

Great piece. I took the GDSA course in December 2016 and it was the beginning of the best days of my life. Indeed, the was a wake up call for me.
    I found the videos very insightful and was inspired to learn more. The course has the potential to take an individual or business from where they are to where they want to be. And that’s the reason we keep encouraging people to go through it so the can build their capacity and add more value wherever they find themselves and in whatever they do.

6. Ifeolwa says:

Remembering the first time i signed up, i have to smile. The content grabbed my attention so much so, my curiousity made me so eager to scale each hurdle and honestly i’m glad i did. The day i finished all courses, it was a as if i’d won a lottery. Happy to say i haven’t looked at digital marketing the same way and have developed a deep interest in it as it has been of great help to me in my job and my personal business. I get hyped up each time i come across a situation where i have to apply what i have learnt and this motivates me to do better and become better at what i do. I can’t be thankful enough to Google for creating such a platform. It is still impactful til now.

7. sarahanene says:

Great one Adejoke. It’s as simple as clicking bit.ly/mindthegapng

8. Adeniyi Oluokun says:

Whether or not you are new in the digital space, the Digital Skills for Africa course is a must for you. I shared the same sentiment with the writer, I thought the DSA course was not going to add any value or enrich my digital understanding when I first heard about it, but guess what? The richness of the content blew me away. I learnt about the little things that made the difference for the leading e-commerce platforms we are celebrating today and the strategies of gaining adequate traction. Thank you Adejoke for sharing your story.

9. Ifeoluwa Ogunbiyi says:

It was an eye-opener for me and stimulated a deep interest in Digital Marketing for me that i never knew i had..lol. The content of the platform held my attention almost from the minute i signed up and my curiousity kept me jumping each course as if they were racing hurdles. I was actually having fun challenging myself to finish each one and i am so glad i have been able to apply all i learnt to my work and also to my personal business. Can’t be thankful enough for the Google Digital Skills For Africa platform.

10. Evangel ubanzerem says:

Quite frankly the GDSA is a necessity for every youth. It ushers you into a whole new world of opportunities .My experience was awesome

11. osagie says:

I took the Digital Skills training course in March 2017(exactly one year ago). It has really been an enlightening experience for me. Now, when I talk about Digital skills and how it can help SMEs grow their businesses, I sound like an authority (Smiles). It makes a world of difference when you can talk Confidently and Entrepreneurs take your advice seriously.

12. I was better enlightened about the Web after taking the free training and couse in February 2017, I was also able to improve my social media presence by separating the relevant engagements for better focus from the others, I admonish that this generation embraces The GDSA as a germane leapfrogging tool amongst others for personal career advancement and collective economic bloom.

13. Olabisi says:

Thanks a lot for sharing your story. More women and girls across Africa need to take advantage of this HUGE opportunity soonest.

14. Yusuf Faidat says:

GDSA online course was exactly what I needed. I was able to understand the power of social media and how to use it to my advantage. The real life illustrations that was used to explain each section was a of huge help. I’m sure if I hadn’t done DSA my business would not have the online stability it has now.

15. Arit Archibong says:

Well detailed. Going down memory lane, just the excitement of being able to navigate the virtual walls, build an influence around it and know what actions to take was rewarding. Awaiting my midnight subscriptions, taking down the lessons and unlocking those badges were really fulfilling. Digital Skills was indeed my saving grace when I came up with a digital museum and had no expertise in the field. Now it is my passion! A money making addiction!
    Thanks Adejoke!

16. Genevieve says:

I recently started the course and from the start it really woke me up to what is really happening around me and hearing all the comments you have all made m glad I came across this and to think i was about to spend so much going to learn it at a computer institute

17. EdenWorld says:

Interesting comments here though.
    I will be glad if you guys can share with us what you learnt so far, and what you can with those skills to enable us sign up as well.

I just started, and have acquired two badges.
    And pls I want to know after the certification, will Google want to make use of you aside your self-utilization of the skills on your businesses?